Hours: To be determined - 40hrs/week
Interested in applying for this position? Applications must be submitted online and through the City of Albany's Civil Service Employment Portal
TRAFFIC SAFETY AIDE
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This class is responsible for attaching a locking device (“boot”) to the wheel of vehicles that have been identified as “scofflaws” because of non-payment for parking violations. The incumbent will also be assigned to post “Emergency – No Parking” signs to delineate parking areas. The work is performed under the direct supervision of the Albany Parking Authority.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITES: (Illustrative Only)
- Attaches boot to wheel of vehicles to prevent the use of the vehicle;
- Arranges for towing of “scofflaw” vehicles or illegally parked vehicles;
- Cleans and repairs locking devices;
- Posts “Emergency – No Parking” signs to delineate parking areas;
- May assist other personnel by placing barricades during emergencies or other activities;
- May assist in traffic control at parades or special events;
- May provide courier service to all locations of City offices;
- May assist Public Service Officers as assigned;
- May issue summons to vehicle in violation of parking laws, ordinances and regulations;
- Does related work as required.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS ABILITIES, AND PERSONAL
- Ability to follow written and oral directions;
- Ability to lift moderately heavy equipment such as locking devices, traffic cones and barricades;
- Physical dexterity;
- Ability to learn and comprehend moderately complex traffic laws, rules and ordinances;
- Ability to learn the practices and procedures of traffic control and enforcement;
- Ability to learn geographic areas such as streets, roads, buildings, facilities, etc.;
- Ability to utilize personal computers (may be hand held);
- Ability to keep simple, practical records;
- Ability to read, write, speak, understand and communicate in English sufficiently to perform the essential duties of the position;
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and two (2) years of experience involving considerable public contact.
A candidate for employment must successfully pass a complete background check including fingerprint processing.
A valid New York State driver’s license is required at the time of appointment and for the duration of employment.
Revised: 2/27/95-Non-competitive, 11/28/00, 3/31/04, 7/26/05, 3/27/13 – Competitive, 3/25/15
To apply please click here