Hours: 9am to 5am Monday-Friday (40-hour full time)
Interested in applying for this position? Applications must be submitted online and through the City of Albany's Civil Service Employment Portal by Friday, September 24th, 2021.
PUBLIC SERVICE OFFICER
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: The work involves responsibility for the enforcement of laws, ordinances, and regulations pertaining to vehicular parking. Working on assigned shifts, the incumbents’ work involves the issuance of traffic infraction summonses. Work is performed primarily outdoors. Incumbents work under the direct supervision of the Public Service Officer Supervisor. Once assignments are given, workers of this class are given considerable leeway in carrying out details of assignments.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustrative only)
- Issues summons to vehicles in violation of parking laws, ordinances and regulations;
- Performs routine checks of traffic regulation signs and signal devices in need of being repaired or replaced and reports same;
- Answers questions for and directs the public in locating public facilities and parking areas;
- Assists in directing and regulating vehicular and pedestrian traffic in congested areas such as parades, demonstrations, etc.;
- Prepares reports as required;
- Does related work as required.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Ability to learn and comprehend moderately complex traffic laws, rules and ordinances;
- Ability to learn the practices and procedures of traffic control and enforcement;
- Ability to learn geographic areas such as streets, roads, buildings, facilities, etc.;
- Ability to utilize personal computers (may be hand held);
- Ability to be courteous yet firm with the public;
- Ability to understand and carry out moderately difficult written and oral instructions;
- Ability to write legibly and prepare simple reports;
- Integrity, sound judgement;
- Tact, courtesy;
- Neat appearance;
- Willingness to work outdoors in a variety of climatic conditions;
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma.
SPECIAL NOTE: Effective May 23, 2012, a valid NYS Driver’s License is required at the time of appointment and for the duration of employment
Position may require ability to work shift assignments during the day, evening and nights.
Background Investigation: Candidates may be subject to a thorough background investigation to determine suitability for appointment. Applicants may be required to authorize access to educational, employment, criminal history and other records check as part of such investigation. Criminal convictions and other offenses are subject to evaluation and may result in disqualification. Applicant will be required to submit the necessary fees for the fingerprint processing, where required.
Revised: 07/19/78, 02/19/86, 09/26/00, 02/28/01, 06/27/05, 04/17/12, 03/25/15
To apply please click here.
Applicants must meet the requirements as outlined in the above job description.
Section 62-1 of Chapter 62 of the Code of the City of Albany (Residency Requirement) is not a requirement for the position.
The Albany Parking Authority is An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.