Hours: 8am to 4pm (40-hour full time)
Salary: $16.00/ hour
Interested in applying for this position? Applications must be submitted online and through the City of Albany's Civil Service Employment Portal by September 29th, 2021.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This position involves the performance of moderately skilled manual labor and the use of power tools, indoors and outdoors, in a group and alone. It requires heavy lifting, physically demanding tasks. Work is usually performed under the general direction of a supervisor and is expected to accomplish tasks as directed. Upon completion of assigned tasks, the incumbent is to report to a supervisor for further directives. Supervision may be exercised over small groups of employees performing manual tasks while the incumbent participates in the work performed. This position involves the assistance in the installation, construction, maintenance, collection and repair of single space and multi space meters.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustrative Only)
- Performs light masonry work, unskilled painting and paint preparationwork;
- Operates light machinery, light trucks, snow thrower, small power tools, core drills;
- Handles inventory and can organize store-room facilities;
- Loads and unloads trucks with various materials;
- Performs a variety of heavy cleaning work including but not limited to washing and cleaning walls, windows, floors, bathrooms, vehicles and equipment;
- Walks alongside moving vehicle and performs cash collections of single and multispace parking meters;
- Performs snow removal duties including shoveling, salting, and operating snow thrower and snow plow, clear snow utilizing a snow melter;
- Assists in the installation and maintenance of directional signs and sign poles;
- Assists in the installation and maintenance of street markings;
- Assists in the installation and maintenance of single and multispace parking meters;
- Performs related work as required;
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Knowledge of standard tools and practices used in general laboring, street, sidewalk, meter, maintenance and repair;
- Ability to fill out simple forms and reports;
- Ability to read and write;
- Ability to perform a wide variety of complex manual tasks;
- Ability to get along with others and follow oral and written instructions;
- Ability to work outside in all types of weather and under all conditions;
- Physical endurance, sobriety, dependability;
- Ability to lift a minimum of fifty (50) pounds;
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
One year of experience in general laboring work.
A valid New York State driver’s license is required at the time of appointment and for the duration of employment. Employees possessing additional licenses (e.g. a Commercial Driver’s License) may be required to drive any vehicle which they are licensed to drive.
A background check will be conducted prior to appointment.
To apply please click here.
Applicants must meet the requirements as outlined in the above job description.
Section 62-1 of Chapter 62 of the Code of the City of Albany (Residency Requirement) is not a requirement for the position.
The Albany Parking Authority is An Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer.